How can we attract new electric vehicle (EV) drivers? How can we continue to decarbonise domestic transport alongside our growing green public transport sector? Can we ensure all individuals have a car when the UK government brings forward its ban on new petrol and diesel cars in 2030? Most pressingly, how can we solve the lack of public EV chargepoint stations? While all these questions certainly underpin challenges that need overcoming, the Peer to Peer (P2P) electric vehicle charging scheme could hold the answers and solutions.
What is Peer to Peer Charging?
P2P charging is a system where individuals publicly share their private EV charge points with other EV drivers. Using the P2P charging system, private owners can make their charging points available for the public during periods when they are not personally using it. This can massively improve the current lack of charging infrastructure in the UK. As well as provide additional income to some households.
Is the P2P charging revolutionary?
The concept behind this sharing based EV charging system is certainly something to be excited about. Individuals that choose to rent their EV charge point(s) out to others could help solve the current lack of charging infrastructure. This is important for various reasons:
- The existing lack of EV charging stations could limit EV growth.
- Those deterred by a lack of convenient and quick charging options may choose to stick with, or switch back, to a traditional fuel car.
- With fewer numbers of people making the transition to an EV, reaching a fully decarbonised domestic transport system will take longer than our governing bodies plan.
How does the P2P charging system work?
When your Electric vehicle is low on power you could pay a flat fee for the use of a private EV charger, allowing you to easily charge up your car. It really is that simple!
What are the perks of renting out your EV Charger?
- With Peer to Peer Charging, the stress of low battery could be a thing of the past. You would no longer have to worry about not having any close charging points, or not being able to reach your destination. All because the availability of an EV charger would become higher!
- Supporting the alleviation of range anxiety, surveys have found a potential extra 60,000 chargers could join the national network of current charging stations with the P2P system.
- With “range anxiety” disappearing, there would be a greater uptake of zero emissions cars.
- Domestic transport was responsible for 27% of the UK’s total emissions in 2019. This highlights the need to reduce the amount of CO2 emitted from fuel cars
- By sharing your private EV Charger for public use and helping solve the charging infrastructure crisis, EV drivers would continue to decarbonise domestic transport. Attracting more potential drivers to switch to Electric driving.
- Considering electricity prices are relatively low in Britain and support schemes for EVs – such as the OLEV homecharging point grant – are in place, the current expected period for an EV to start paying for itself is under 10 years.
- By getting involved in P2P charging, you could not only achieve a faster payback on your home charging point, but even turn a profit.
- If your property generates it own renewable energy such as Solar PV, you could essentially charge consumers for your freely generated energy.
What are the drawbacks of renting out your chargepoint?
- While renting your private charging point out for public use, you will have to be comfortable with strangers occupying your private property for the duration of their top-up.
- To rent out your driveway or garage’s private EV charging point, you will have to set up charge times and be responsible for handling payments (which would ultimately be worth the initial hassle!).
How do I rent my EV Charging Point to the public?
If you are interested in earning money while helping others charge their EVs, you can get started with the following parking apps and EV sharing platforms:
- JustPark – list your EV charger and publicly share you charger.
- Bookmycharge – become a part of the bookable EV charging community.
How Can I Get An EV Charger installed?
Peer to Peer Charging is just one of the the many reasons why you should install a home EV Charger. If you would like to rent out an EV Charger but haven’t got one installed just yet, lucky for you you’re in the right place. Deege Solar installs thousands of charging points across the UK every year, and who knows your property could be next.
You can get an home charging point installed in the UK if you:
- Own the property, or you have permission from your landlord
- Have your own off-street parking
- Have a WiFi connection at home
If you meet the criteria above and are interested in having an electric car charging point installed please get in touch with team Deege Solar. All consultants are free of charge.