What is voltage optimisation?
Voltage optimisation is a clever energy saving technique that is used to regulate the incoming power supply from the National Grid. By reducing the voltage supplied to the optimum level you can reduce the amount of electricity you use, cutting your carbon emissions at the same time! This smart technology, can be used in the electrical equipment and appliances at your home and even workplace. By simply installing what is known as a Voltage Optimiser.
How Does a Voltage Optimiser Work?
Generally, power from the National Grid is supplied at a higher voltage than is required. Although the official normal supply voltage in the UK is 230V, the actual voltage supplied by the National Grid fluctuates around an average of 242V!
Most appliances are rated at 220V. Therefore, appliances are being supplied more electricity than necessary to operate. Resulting in both energy and financial waste. As well as extra wear and tear on your appliances.
By simply installing a voltage optimiser you can reduce the voltage received by your home or business. Voltage optimisers are installed in series with your electricity supply, between the distribution transformer and the main low voltage distribution board. When the electricity passes through your Voltage Optimiser, the supply voltage will be reduced to the required amount. Any excess voltage being supplied will be simply returned back to the grid and not used on site. By simply rejecting and returning the surplus to the grid, your electrical equipment will benefit from an optimised power supply.
What are the perks associated with a Voltage Optimiser?
The Eco-Max Optimiser
The Eco-Max Home Voltage Optimiser is a smart way of reducing your excess voltage. Resulting in a lower energy bill and a longer lifespan on all of your electrical appliances. This voltage optimiser, is a hassle-free versatile solution, capable of cutting down carbon emissions as soon as installed.
Eco Max offer three main types of Voltage Optimisers. With an energy saving solution available for your Home, Commercial and Industrial needs. The Eco-Max Home Voltage Optimisation 63 Amps is suitable for most domestic properties. As well as small commercial premises.
The Benefits of the Eco-Max Home optimiser:
- As a “plug in and go” solution, the Eco-Max requires no maintenance.
- Comes with a 5-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- The Eco-Max Optimiser is designed to work well with a range of technology, including Solar PV, Wind Turbines, Heat Pumps and more!
- Comes with three saving settings for maximum control and energy reduction.
- Typically reduces electricity consumption by 12%.
- Is made in the UK – meaning an even lower carbon footprint for the UK consumer to purchase and install this device.
- Savings of up to 19% on energy bills.
How much do Voltage Optimisers cost to install?
Prices will vary depending on the brand and spec-level you go for. Domestic unit prices can start from around £350 and make their way to around £1,500 for the more commercial/industrial size systems.
It is worth noting once again that savings are immediate with a relatively short payback return of less than 5 years!
How easy is a Voltage Optimiser to install?
Voltage optimisers are relatively easy to install by a qualified electrician. Most installations require a device installed between the main electricity meter and the consumer unit. With a few wires simply connected between the two.
Each site has specific requirements and will need to be looked at separately by an energy professional.
Do they actually save on energy and money?
- Voltage optimisation technology could yield average energy savings of up to 15%.
- While savings begin immediately, payback is usually achieved after two to four years.
- A four bed home, with an Eco-Max Optimiser can see a return on investment of 27%! Which is a better interest than any bank.
- A retailer with an Eco-Max installed across 5 shops is saving £3,353 per year.
- One hotel will payback the cost of their Eco-Max Commercial in just 25 months. Their savings will continue for 20+ years after!
- A large retailer can save up to 1,823 tonnes of Co2 emissions each year by installing a Voltage Optimiser.
Should I Get A Voltage Optimiser Installed?
A Voltage Optimiser is a simple yet effective way of reducing your energy costs and cut down on your carbon emissions. For the average energy consumer, the ease of installation and the short payback time, is enough reason to invest in this smart bit of tech. However, if you are still uncertain it is always worth seeking advice from an energy professional before going ahead with a voltage optimiser installation.
A voltage optimiser is often recommended alongside a Solar PV system, as together the energy savings can be phenomenal. To get an inside look and feel into a home energy system, with both Solar PV and a Voltage Optimiser Installed, check out our Youtube video. By clicking the link you will get to see an inside touch of our Managing Director David Norman’s home solar setup.